At Tanfield Lea Community Primary School, we are an inclusive school and our staff is committed to supporting and promoting the emotional wellbeing of all children.
Each class teacher is responsible for the pastoral and social care of every child in their class, therefore should further advice or support be required, they would be parents’ first point of contact. In additon to our Headteacher and SENCO, our Behaviour Support Lead and Parent Support Advisor are also available to liaise with parents and staff and consult with a wide range of agencies and partnerships to ensure that the support for any Emotional and Social Development needs of children are met.
We take the time and opportunity to listen to children and parents about any concerns and possible additional support that they may need. When it is felt that additional support or intervention is necessary to support a child’s social or emotional development then we can offer:
- A school with caring and dedicated staff.
- A school ethos which has children’s social and emotional well-being at the heart of it.
- Key members of staff to liaise with the family to provide the support available to help to meet the child’s needs or signpost them to somebody who may be able to help.
- A member of staff trained in ‘Mindfulness’ and ‘Relaxed Kids strategies’ who offers timetabled sessions for support.
- Getting Along/ Friendship Interventions
- Access to the ‘Listening Matters’ support Programme offered by trained members of staff.
- Access to a counselling service for high levels of need.
- Close liaison with external services where referrals for specialist advice can be made.
- Anti-bullying champions who offer peer support.
- Assembly themes that focus on social and emotional well-being of all, covering themes such as Anti-bullying.
- Participating in collaborative Anti – bullying events with local primary schools to ensure that we have an anti-bullying culture in school.
- A behaviour system that employs a restorative approach and a reward system that encourages children to embody our school values to be kind, caring and considerate towards others.