Tanfield Lea Community Primary School aims to provide a safe, caring environment, which enables everyone in the school to fulfil their potential.
- To provide the highest possible standard of education through a broad, balanced and enjoyable curriculum appropriate to each individual.
- To give the opportunity to develop the skills required to live and work together and to co-operate with each other.
- To promote and encourage a healthy lifestyle, both physically and mentally, enabling individuals to make informed choices.
- To develop an empathy with people around us; with the world in which we live and an understanding and respect of individuals, groups and nations. To encourage a sense of right and wrong and be self disciplined.
- To provide a stimulating surrounding which is valued.
- To foster a caring attitude towards others and our environment.
Through each of these we aim to be good citizens whose achievements are recognised and celebrated.
We recognise the diverse and individual needs of all of our children and take into account the additional support required by those children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).
We believe in positive intervention; removing barriers to learning; raising expectations and levels of achievement and working in partnership with other agencies in order to provide a positive educational experience for all SEND children.
To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum there are some actions we may take to achieve this:
- Ensure that all pupils have access to the school curriculum and all school activities.
- Help all pupils achieve to the best of their abilities, despite any difficulty or disability they may have.
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all pupils, teaching pupils in a way that is more appropriate to their needs.
- Pupils to gain in confidence and improve their self-esteem.
- To work in partnership with parents/ carers, pupils and relevant external agencies in order to provide for children’s special educational needs and disabilities.
- To identify at the earliest opportunity, all children that need special consideration to support their needs (whether these are educational, social, physical or emotional)
- To make suitable provision for children with SEND to fully develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- Ensure that all children with SEND are fully included in all activities of the school in order to promote the highest levels of achievement.
- To promote self-worth and enthusiasm by encouraging independence at all age and ability levels.
- To give every child the entitlement to a sense of achievement.
- To regularly review the policy and practice in order to achieve best practice.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.