How will my child be supported in their learning?
Child Assessment is an on-going process and forms an essential part of teaching and is designed to promote the raising of achievement.
Child assessments provide important information for child review and support meetings and may also be used as a basis for an initial referral to the SEND Team.
The team may also use assessment (reading, writing, numerical) to further assess a child’s Special Educational Needs.
It is important to note that not all children referred to the SEND Team will be SEND children; any support and guidance given may be short, medium or long term.
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and pace suitable for their ability. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual children’s needs.
At times modifications to the curriculum may be implemented. To successfully match pupil ability to the Curriculum, we continue to be committed to:
• A range of teaching and learning styles.
• Differentiated materials (both for reinforcement and extension).
• Access to ICT.
• Additional in class support.
• Additional out of class support.
• Flexible groupings (including small group work).
• An innovative and supportive curriculum
• The appropriate use of rewards and sanctions.
• Mentoring and counselling
• A broad range of extra-curricular activities, including homework club
• Assessment procedures that emphasise children’s strengths and achievements.
• Applications to examination boards to obtain access arrangements as appropriate.
How will my child develop their independence?
Throughout school we look to develop children’s independent skills. Within Early Years they will be encouraged (where appropriate) to self-register, tidy up, be responsible for their personal hygiene and dress themselves. As they progress through school these skills of independence will be developed through a variety of ways including:-
• Use of Personal Organiser
• Take on additional responsibilities within class and around school e.g. prefect, librarian
• Member of School Council
• Team Captains
• Residential Visits for Y5 and Y6
For further details of how we meet the needs of individuals see our Curriculum section.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.