Inclusive education means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Our curriculum includes, not only the formal requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage Curriculum / National Curriculum, but also a range of additional opportunities to enrich the experiences of all pupils.
The Curriculum also included the social aspects that are essential for lifelong learning, personal growth and development of independence.
At Tanfield Lea Community Primary School we pride ourselves in being inclusive which means supporting all pupils to learn, contribute and participate in all aspects of school life alongside their peers. Children will access the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Alongside this, we also provide additional experiences to enrich the learning experience of our pupils, encouraging children to become life-long learners and promote the development of independence at all ages and ability levels. By encouraging independence at all age and ability levels we endeavour to develop confidence, improve self-esteem and promote enthusiasm in all our children.
Some of the actions we may take to achieve this are:
- Modify the curriculum to meet individual needs so that they are able to develop their abilities, interests and aptitudes and gain maximum access to the curriculum.
- Ensure that teaching staff are aware of and sensitive to the needs of all children, teaching children in a way that is most appropriate to their needs.
- Work in partnership with parents/ carers, children and relevant external agencies in order to provide for children’s special educational needs and disabilities.
- Identify at the earliest opportunity, all children that may need special consideration to support their needs (whether these are educational, social, physical or emotional)
- Ensure that all children with SEND are fully included in all activities of the school (including enrichment/after school activities) in order to promote the highest levels of achievement.